Reviews, Permits and Approvals

This section identifies other types of reviews, permits or approvals that will or
may be necessary prior to, during or after all local zoning and planning approvals
have been received.


Driveway or Curb Cut Permits

Crawford and Associates

CrawfordAd Whenever a new building is proposed on vacant lands, access to that parcel from a town road, village or city street or a county or state highway, a permit must be received for the driveway that will intersect with any of these municipal streets or roadways. The permit will authorize work undertaken within the boundaries of the roadway’s right of way. For town roads and village and city streets, the contact person for these permits is often the local highway superintendent.

For driveways entering on to a County road, the permit is obtained from the Columbia County Department of Public Works, Engineering Division, located on Route 23B in the Town of Greenport. For application information, contact: Dean Knox, Director of Engineering at (518) 828-7011.

If the driveway will intersect with a state highway, the permit is obtained from the N.Y.S.D.O.T. Office located on Route 66 in the Town of Greenport. For application information, contact: Joseph Visconti, Permit Engineer at (518) 828-9401.

Please keep in mind that several municipalities within the County do not require that the permit be obtained prior to submittal of you project to the local boards, but nearly all of them will require that this driveway/curb cut permit has been issued before final approval of the project is granted.



Site Analysis and Utility Needs Topics
SEQRA Review

County Planning Board Review

• Driveway or Curb Cut Permits

Wetland Permits

Stormwater Permits